Safeguarding information for St John the Divine, High Path
As a parish we are committed to helping everyone learn and worship in a safe environment.
We have adopted the safeguarding policy and procedures of Southwark Diocese,
'A Safe Church'.
This includes these policies:
• Safeguarding Policy Promoting a Safer Church
• Policy for Responding to Domestic Abuse
Our recruitment process for those working with children, young people, or vulnerable adults includes
DBS check, references, and induction. The Parish Church Council (PCC) reviews our practices on a regular
basis to ensure that we comply with our Safeguarding policy.
Our Parish Safeguarding Officers can be contacted at
our Churchwardens at
The Diocesan Safeguarding Team can be contacted at the following:
• Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser,
Hugh Constant (020 7939 9423, mobile 07982 279713; out-of-hours duty line 020 3874 6743)
• Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers,
Marie Daly (020 7939 9441, mobile 07946 255295) and
Louise Vernon (020 7939 9462, mobile 07946 255622)
Safeguarding Past Cases Review
Every parish has been asked to conduct a review of any historic
safeguarding matters involving children or vulnerable adults. The clergy and Safeguarding Officers are undertaking
this work, but if any church member has knowledge of concerns from the past about the behaviour
of church leaders and officers, please let us know.
The Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (IICSA) has produced its final report on
child sexual abuse in the Church of England. We all lament the failures of our
Church and pray for healing and justice for all victims and survivors of abuse. We
commit ourselves afresh to the highest standards of safeguarding practice and
culture. If you or anyone you are in contact with are affected by the publication of
this report and want to talk to someone independently please call the Safe Spaces
helpline on 0300 303 1056 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Help with child and adult safeguarding issues can be obtained from the following:
• NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
• Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
• National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
• Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
• Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9&ndash5 p.m.).